Sunday, November 04, 2007

So Far So Good

I don't want to jinx myself but nanowrimo is going well so far. I think the storyboarding and powerpoint research presentation helped a lot. I've also been learning about the three-act structure of screen plays in a graduate class and thinking about my book in those terms has been very helpful. I've written almost 6,000 words so far. I think my first turning point will happen around the 12,000 word mark when the heroine is hired by the villain to pretend to channel the spirit of the hero's dead wife. The turning point is when she finally agrees to do it. This starts Act II where the hero and heroine are forced into an intimate situation fraught with emotional and moral complexity and danger.

Nano writing is so weird. The whole point is to forcefully subdue your inner editor and just let the words flow without worrying about making them sublime. I know I will have to do heavy editing once I'm finished, but right now I think the important thing for me is to finish a full-length novel. Then I can fuss with it and polish it and send it out into the world. A blank page will get me nowhere.

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it's going well for you!! I'm off to check out your three act reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian,

    The woman I linked to, Linda Seger, has written a lot of books about it. But I don't think you can get much info on her website. I should find a better link.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Lenore! I'm so proud of you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tessa. You're my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Camilla! What's your nanowrimo name? Our blogs look so similar, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. NaNo is a little crazy! Just write write write. I tend to be like that anyway though. I write a fast first draft and then go through and pick it over. :) Good job on the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A blank page will get me nowhere - that's exactly right!

    "You can't have writer's block, you just can't. So if I am stuck I just write something. Then you can at least do something with it."

    I didn't write that, but I live that advice. Since I started writing this year I've written 2,000 words every day, 7 days a week, and only once scrapped a chapter because it didn't work. You just need to have that faith in yourself - and have fun with it - and you'll succeed.

    You're welcome to visit my blog any time. Comments from fellow writers are always welcome. Please also let me know what you think of my cover design if you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you're like that, Shelli. You don't need NaNoWriMo at all. You live it all the time. That's why I'm in awe of you.

    Hi Leigh,

    Thanks for stopping by! Your cover is gripping and perfect for your genre. I'm hopping over to give you feedback now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lenora and thank you for viisting my blog. Please keep in touch - and keep writing!
    Is it true, the more you write, the easier it becomes? I hope so! I can't remember where I found you but yes, it was on someone's blog who's doing this NaNoWriMo thing. What does it mean again? I guess end bit is Write More? but NaNo??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Leigh,

    National Novel Writing Month. I know their are people in the UK doing it, too. Go to www.nanowrimo.org to find out more. Not that you need it if you are writing 2000 a day, seven days a week. That's so wonderful and inspiring!

    -LB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the Nano insanity. I see your word count is moving up! Yay for you! Can't wait until the book is finished and I can read it (you will let me have a sneak peek, right?)... The premise sounds totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course, Ericka! Nice to see you here. Thanks for the encouragement. I need it. I'm trying to hit 15K today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo, I forgot to look at your little meter for several days, and look how many words you have written!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY!! I'm so proud and inspired by you. I'm positive you'll have your words at the end of the month. And I love that you story boarded and prepped ahead. That's really the kind of thing I'm doing now. Just can't move on quite yet. Go, Lenora, go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Huar and India! I just passed 20,000. Yay! I'm still behind though. I better write double tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete