Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Romancing the Stone



What have I been doing instead of finishing my NaNoWriMo WIP? Numerous procrastinatory and one or two legitimate activities. Going on a DVD buying binge falls firmly into the former category. And what did I find at the bottom of a big box of movies I was rifling through at my favorite illegal DVD shop? The 2006 special edition release of Romancing the Stone. Call me maudlin, but I love this movie. It's lost none of its luster with time. Michael Douglas is not my type at all, but he's just plain sexy in a swaggering yet sheepishly sweet kind of way. And I'm such a sucker for a makeover. Any makeover will do (note to self--include a makeover in next MS). Watching Kathleen Turner transform from frowsy, scatterbrained writer to machete wielding, thigh-baring tigress will never get old.

Now if only Joan Wilder could write me out of my NaNo funk.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:57 PM

    Hi!
    I, too, love Romancing the Stone -- sometimes I watch the movie and it's the book I wish I could write. It's corny and predictable but just such a lot of fun!
    Just found your blog. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam!

    Glad you found me. Did you know that the screenplay to the movie was written by a waitress who had never published before? The tragic thing is that she died in a car crash only a few years after the movie was made. The 2006 release has a bunch of extras all about the making of the movie and the cast and crew.

    I'll go check out your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam--for some reason I wasn't able to comment on your blog. Blogspot is blocked in China so I'm going through Anonymouse, but normally I'm able to comment. I don't know what the problem is. But anyway, I hope you read this because I wanted to say congrats on getting your latest story accepted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:13 AM

    I still have DVDs from my last Shanghai illegal-DVD-buying binge that I haven't gotten around to watching yet! But I remember there was one week there that I watched 11 movies, all by my little puffy-vested woolly-hatted self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:00 AM

    Hang in there, sweetie! If I can get past my Ch. 9 stumbling block (and my 11 one, and the one in 15, oh -- and the one in 19, and... ;?)) you can get past this. Remember Maiden? I never thought I'd finish that. But I made myself quit self-editing and just plow through. You can do it! We're here cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kerry! It helps to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know... I've never seen it!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete