Thursday, May 04, 2006

First Pitch

I've been writing historical romance for just over a year. But this weekend I'm actually going to try to sell some at a conference organized by the Romance Writers of America's Silicon Valley chapter. I'll get to meet other authors, go to fun workshops with titles like "Say Goodbye to the Slush Pile," and flirt with agents and editors at the Speed Dating event.

I've practised my pitch ad nauseum (even going so far as to set it to a Cole Porteresque tune -- for my own private amusement, of course). I bought a cute black and white vintage sundress, had a fancy website made, and picked up my fabulous red business cards today. Now I just have to glue flocked velvet wallpaper to the backs of them. They'll scream bordello, but that's appropriate. I am writing gothic Victorian-era romance, after all!

I'll check back in a few days and blog about the conference, and my upcoming journey to China!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Carl (and Senor Buffalo). I'm not actually going to be singing to anybody. Although that might get their attention, eh? I could whip out a cordless mike, dim the lights, and go karaoke kamikaze on them with my best Ann Wilson imitation. Hmmm. It could work. If they like Heart.
    Say hi to Emma dear for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd totally buy the manuscript if someone belted out something by Heart. Love the site -- and good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat-o. Is there more of Confessions available to read (or perhaps tied up somewhere awaiting ravishment)?

    I wonder, though, if you shouldn't move the blog to a different host. Isn't Blogger blocked, at least intermittently, from China?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you darlings.

    Miel - you're the very best. Thanks for listening to me babble last night.

    Meljean - you do NOT have a pinhead!

    Marina - I was bouncing up and down in my chair when I read your 21 little words. I'll e you today and get the scoop.

    Huar - Doh! Why didn't I think of that. Silly, silly me. Maybe I'll just have to start a blog on my website itself. Or is China going to block LenoraBell? Maybe they won't even let me back into the country? I'm not sure how the censors feel about Victorian smut. But my favorite color is red, officer...

    I'll send you some more Confessions -- feel free to ravish it with red ink!

    ReplyDelete